Monday, June 11, 2007

Scary Things

Things can be scary in different ways. On one hand you have situations where you are literally afraid, and then you have moments of realization that can be described as mildly frightening. I've had both in the last 24 hours, and neither were pleasant.

The first of the above mentioned happened after church last night. I was standing in the "big" building where the Sunday services are held socializing with some of the HS girls and another adult. Alot of the kids are running around, playing instruments and eating pizza. I'm only half aware of the details surrounding me, but one thing does catch my eye. A girl in the youth group acquires everyone's attention (within earshot) when she walks in announcing "Hey come look what I found outside!" I'm as curious as the next guy so I turn to look. Right as I focus in on the clear jar she is holding, I hear another kid say "Wow! A Tarantula!" At that same moment I had caught a glimpse of a large black hairy leg residing in the jar. Panic. Pure panic. I've already shared in a recent blog that I DONT DO SPIDERS. For those of you who know me well, you know I can not emphasize that enough. So two things go though my mind - both of equal importance. First - GET OUT! So in an incredibly rude moment, I left the group I was talking to in mid-conversation, grabbed my stuff and walk out of the church through a side exit. No time for goodbyes or any other pleasantries. Second thought - "You found that thing WHERE?!?!". I dont think I will ever feel safe walking the grounds around the church again. So I find myself standing at a safe distance from the spider inside, but then realize that Im now standing in it's old stomping grounds. I'm sure the large ugly useless creature had a family and friends. Panic sets in again. Where is it safe to stand? Exactly how close can I stand to the flower beds? Is it ok to stand next the ramp leading up the portable buildings? What if one is under the ramp. It could be inches away and I'd not know it. With that, there goes my safe haven. I never assumed that the church would be spider free. However, as most people (I'd hope) I really would prefer that it be tarantula free. Is that so much to ask??? I find myself reliving the experience just by typing it. UGH!

My frightful realization came this evening as I was driving to McAlisters to meet Tiffani for dinner. I was sitting at the light waiting for the arrow so I can turn onto the street that runs next to the restaurant. I'm first in line to turn left, but this is one of those lights where you have to have an arrow, or else the light is red. I hate those - I trust my judgement. Anyway, I see another Celica at another corner of the intersection who is also waiting to turn left, and head west. I think nothing of it. Celica's are everywhere. However, the guy driving the other Toyota gets his arrow first and drives past me. He's a scrawny, squirelly , dorky, greasy looking guy who obviously thinks he's cool. He's got all the window's down and the music up. We make brief eye contact as he passes and he throws up a peace sign through the sun roof in my direction! What??? Then it hit me. I'm in THAT crowd, just because of my car. See, I used to really think I was cool with my silver sports car, but that was in high school. At that age its cool to have any car, as it represents a chance for freedom. But I'm 25 now and I've been driving my "cool" car for over 7 years. I stopped thinking it was a fashion statement somewhere in mid-college. I realize now that even if I view my car as a means of transportation, I am apparently some member of a club I didnt know existed. I want to cancel my membership. More than ever, I'm desperate for a new car. I have my sights set on a Maxima. I'm pretty sure that the other Maxima drivers wont be communicating to me via peace signs - and hopefully no other gestures will be necessary either.

On the up side - we leave for Ensenada in 3 days! Viva la Mexico!!!

1 comment:

Eric & Amy said...

We're finally here!!! It is awesome!