Thursday, September 24, 2009

Allison Update

I'm so long overdue for an Allison update. She had her 15 month well visit two weeks ago, and I meant to do it then, but time gets away from me somehow.

For all of you moms who are interested, she is 33% in weight and 83% in height - long and lean! She totally didn't get that from me! However, she did get my long torso and short legs (I'm so sorry, baby!). This percentage ratio plus my body type have made it extra challenging for me to find clothes that fit her. She needs 18M tops to fit her torso, but since she is so skinny they swallow her. But she wears 12M pants for the waist (and some of those are STILL to big) but they are the right length. I laugh when I see 18M pants and hold them up to her. The hem of the pants go past her toes when they are pointed. There's just no way those are going to fit anytime soon. That's why I put her in dresses so often - no worries about length or waist size! However, she now wears a size 5 in shoes, which I think is either big or average for her age.

Allison has also gotten her 8th tooth this week. She now has the top four and bottom four. I'm convinced that I will see more though very soon. Today she was running a low fever and is very - I repeat, VERY - grumpy. She's been on a one nap schedule for a few weeks, and we've been very successful at it. Today, though, she really needed some extra rest (or maybe that was just me!) and so I let her take a 30 minute morning nap with the assumption that she would wake up maybe not happy, but at least content. Boy was I wrong!! Almost from the moment I took her out of her crib I could tell that she was in one of her moods. That's also when I noticed that she felt extra warm, so that may have something to do with it. So I started to think of things that make her happy. First on the list - a Ritz cracker and some juice. The juice was rejected but she held onto the cracker like it was a lifeline. I sat her on a chair to eat the precious cracker and went to put something away in the kitchen and she immediately starts wailing. So I pick her up and rocked her while she sobbed. At some point she drops her cracker and I pick it up and take a small bite of it to show her how good it is which was the WRONG thing to do apparently because that bumped up the crying to screaming. Ok, so what else does she like? Baths! I start running the water and try to take off her shirt but she is still clutching the cracker which wont fit through the sleeve so I have to take it away very briefly, but you can guess the reaction. Once the tub is filled, I put her in and start showing her toys, but she continues to cry and just wants to get out so I grab her and hold her again, but this time my shirt gets all wet! Plan three - Praise Baby! After the failed attempt at a bath, I wrap her in her duck towel and put her on the couch (cracker in hand!) and I turn on her favorite Praise Baby DVD. She looked so cute in her duck towel, though, that I couldn't resist snapping a couple of pictures before I ran to get her diaper and a change of clothes. At some point between the time I took the picture and got back with her diaper she managed to pee on my couch (sigh) but she HAS started eating her cracker finally! This day is not over, and I fully expect more drama tonight. In fact, she's crying in her crib right now - just an hour into her 2 hour nap time.



Allison is also talking more than I expect her to. Her favorite thing is animal noises. She currently knows: cow, dog, chicken, monkey, duck, lion, snake, and sheep. I haven't managed to get it on video yet, but about once a day she'll actually perform and do all of them when asked. As far as actual words, she says: sit down, cracker, Maggie (Maaaaa), shoes, no, yeah, baby, diaper, kiss, ball, wow, and of course mama and daddy. She is starting to imitate words now, too. Last night I was babysitting for a little girl named Rylee, and I asked Allison to say her name and she responded with "ReRe". So cute!

Watch out! She can also find her belly button, and YOURS! She likes to lift her her shirt and peek at her belly-b, and then lift yours up as well! Or, if you're really lucky like me, she'll pull out the top of your shirt while you're holding her to see if she can see it from that angle! :)

Lately she has gotten much pickier about what she will eat. I sooo miss the days that she would cram anything into her mouth that I put on her tray. The child wont even eat mashed potatoes! That's not American! One thing that I've discovered that really helps is ketchup! She LOVES to dip about anything in it! It's messy, but at least she eats!



No more time for updates, since she is now up from her nap and banging on my keyboard! Sorry I don't have more pictures!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Miss Kristin, sounds like you have had quite the day. I hate to say, but I was laughing the whole time I was reading your post because I could so see that happening to me. Well, I hope your little girl is feeling better. Have a lovely weekend.

Miss Mommy said...

I just wanted to say that you description of Allison sounds a LOT like many of my days with Luke. :) You are not alone. I also let him cry it out at nap time, FYI. 1 hour is not enough. Be firm. :)