Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Not Funny

Allison is the most independent baby I've ever seen. She is very happy to play alone, and is for the most part uninterested in anything I have to offer unless it's food. She is just not as cuddly as she used to be, and it makes me sad. She is as sweet as can be - don't get me wrong - but she has better things to do than entertain me. The whole time I'm holding her she is twisting and turning so she can see everything around her, and when she sees something that attracts her attention, there is no distracting her. Like I mentioned before, she has discovered a little bit of her mobility, so when she sees something she wants she lunges for it! I thought it was cute for about a day, but now I realize that she isn't content to just watch me talking to her and singing to her anymore. Is this normal??? Someone tell me - seriously!!

Here's the worst part. Until a couple of days ago she had only laughed if someone tickled her, but then she saw our dogs playing and thought it was hilarious! I immediately realized that she had the capacity for that type of entertainment, and since I was home alone I decided that I would do anything to make her laugh at me like that. I wanted her to think I was funny, too! So I set her up on the bed and started dancing around and singing like a fool. I'm so glad no one was there to see it - I would have been too ashamed to show my face again. She chuckled at me a little bit, but I think it was more of a pity laugh. Or maybe it was nervous laughter because she was embarrassed for me. Either way, it was unsuccessful.

Fast forward to last night. Allison was on the floor playing with her fish and I was folding laundry on the couch closest to her. I took a pair of shorts out of the basket and shook them out before folding them and Allison thought that was hilarious, too. I was sure that it had to be a fluke because THAT can't be funnier than me. So I shake the shorts again, and sure enough - she laughs. So laundry is officially funnier than mom. I'm so defeated!

Ok, just had to vent.

By the way, here is a picture of what she now does on her changing table. See what I mean about the new found mobility? She has places to be, folks!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Well I know that I am not your daughter and you would much rather make her laugh than me...but to make you feel better I was cracking up the whole time I was reading your blog. I think Allison just hasn't figured it out yet and she just needs a little time. Plus kids laugh about the strangest things. A friend of mine's baby, for the longest time, would always laugh when anyone got hurt. Im not talking about seriously getting injured, but stubbing your toe, hitting your head on a cabinet, or accidently tripping on something. So maybe you should just keep experimenting. She is bound to laugh at you sometime.

Miss Mommy said...

Yes,that's normal!!! Luke only belly laughs at Rebekah and when I tickle him...R NEVER belly laughed until she was over a year! Allison sounds A LOT like Rebekah as a 5-month-old!!!! Luke will let me hold him forever, so maybe your next one will be snugglier!