Thursday, May 28, 2009

Growing Up

I certainly don't mean to leave so much time between each post, but things are busy around here! I can't point to anything specific or reoccurring, but each day gets filled up very quickly.

Allison will be turning one a week from tomorrow, and it still makes me sad. I haven't cried yet, but I think that's coming. I sent out her birthday invitations this week, and I'm making all of the party plans. It's a small party, but the planning keeps me distracted enough not to think about her growing up.


I've noticed some changes in her lately that I don't like, and I attribute it to her getting older and wiser, as well as finally realizing her true potential as a fallen sinner. :) She has begun to follow me around the house crying because she wants me to hold her all day. I don't know where this is coming from because that has NEVER been a habit of mine.



She is also testing the boundaries of how far she can push the "no touch" rule. Frank and I decided not to baby proof our house (other than cabinet and light switch proofing) because we wanted her to have these lessons. She definitely understands what 'no touch' means, but she will eye me and put one finger on something she knows isn't hers! When that doesn't work, she'll touch the same object with a toy because that isn't actually HER touching it. Can you believe her?? I've tried a myriad of things to 'punish' her for these lapses in judgement, and so far swatting her on the back of her thigh is the only punishment that doesn't elicit a laugh and then turns the punishment into a game.



We found out a few weeks ago that Allison really likes apples. She still only has her bottom two teeth (yes, believe it or not) so I was surprised at how well she could eat a sliced apple. She'll work on one slice for about 15 minutes and eats most of it. I got some pictures of her eating it last time. Look at those big brown eyes!!



We are still working on walking, but she is not that close yet to having down a repeatable technique. When we set her up to walk she leans forward like she would if she were pushing her walking toy. Obviously that does nothing for her balance. I'm going to put up her walking toy, though, so she can learn some new walking habits.



We took her swimming for the first time at the community pool on Memorial day. The water was definitely colder than I prefer, but we had fun. We started out in the "big pool" with Allison in her raft, but ended up letting her play in the kiddie pool that is only 1' deep. She had fun for most of it, but she never liked her head under water. The first time she went under Frank dunked her intentionally and she came up sputtering and choking. Whoops. The next three times she fell in the kiddie pool and we let her face get wet again just so she could learn, and we had the same results. By the fourth time she was crying and ready to go home. Mean parents, I know.
We took a picture of her with each of us, but neither of us want to be on a blog in our swim gear, so you will have to be satisfied with pictures of her at home wearing her swimsuit.




One of Allison's favorite games is peek-a-boo. Frank and I will hide behind anything and pop out and yell 'boo!'. She thinks it's SO funny. Last weekend she was wearing a dress, and I was using that to play the game with her as she laid on the floor. I would pull up her dress and hide behind it and then pull it down real quick. Again - hilarious to a one year old. So my smart kid figures out that she can play this, too. She grabs the bottom of her dress and raises it enough to hid her face and then drops it quickly while squealing at the same time! She really gets it! We probably played that round for 10 minutes. I wish I had gotten it on camera. She was so proud of herself!



Finally, Allison hates things on her head now - including bows. She pulls them off immediately, so if I need her to wear one for a picture I have to distract her for a while to make her forget that she's got it on. She never forgets for long, though. Give her about 20 minutes and she'll be feeling around on her head to pull it off. I guess this means no birthday hat! Sad!

That's all for now. I'll of course post something next week about her party. Check back soon!

4 comments:

Jen said...

You obviously didn't post this just for me, but I have to tell you this week has been a rough one and I so very much appreciate a post and new pictures to pick me right up.

Such sweet pictures! I have to say, probably my favorite of this set is the one of her in the green pj type outfit--she looks a wee bit devilish like she's plotting something. Hilarious!

I sincerely APPLAUD you for the non-baby proofing plan. I understand why, but I think these days too many parents want to take the easier route that doesn't require, you know, parenting and lesson teaching so much as avoidance. I think you'll be happy in the long run.

Did you guys get a chance to look over that book I left in January, "Shepherding a Child's Heart"? It's a pretty great read and some good insights into discipline, etc.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE PARTY NEXT WEEK! Somewhat pathetic, I know, but this is like the highlight of my summer.

Miss Mommy said...

Great update and all that is very normal- however, the touching with a toy is pretty clever. I can't believe how big everybody is getting! Happy early birthday, Allison!

Margaret said...

We used to put Caroline in our neighborhood wading pool in her baby float. She could touch the bottom and walk around... like those old fashioned walkers, but for the water.

I second the no baby proofing... I actually have to put some things away when our small group kids come over.

I too recommend SACH. Kevin and I also did an amazing study (written by a friend's dad - so we know how they turn out ; ) that you can find at: http://www.gciweb.org/materials.asp

Serra said...

I'm with you on the no childproofing too. Our only struggle is keeping Alysen off the stairs. We've got a gate at the top but can't put one at the bottom.
I think it's hilarious that Allison touches things with her toys to try to get around the rules. Funny stuff! She is SO her mom's baby!!

Miss you guys, hope you are well and HAPPY 1st BIRTHDAY ALLISON!!